Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Our presentation informed by learning theories

I really thought our group did quite well in this presentation to be honest, I thought we were a strong group. We went from concrete to abstract and back again, used a variety of mediums, and asked appropriate questions. We also did a good job having SLT inform our lesson by having students converse with each other.

Room for error was still apparent though. I was frustrated with the way my group obtained the class's initial attention (as it was not the way we had planned). The video itself was supposed to be the "bell ringer" so to speak, not having the kids get shouted at to be quiet. Also, the first video was set up with a question in mind, but our lesson plan was to just show it with no prior information, so that the student's could discover it on their own, so that was kind of frustrating, but I think it still worked out ok and people seemed to be engaged and interested in our presentation. I personally was the only person that moved throughout the classroom out of my group as well, listening to what different groups were discussing as well as keeping the classroom focused. It would have been nice if some of my other group members would have done the same.

The only last thing is that I wish we could have had a bit more time to conclude our presentation, this may have been because we let discussion go on a bit longer than needed. I had wanted to relate social norms more to how they define our society, and how they can be important for things like business, social acceptance, and exposure to new cultures/travel. But obviously this was a topic that would traditionally require a whole classroom period so thats ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment